Business Process Management Matters – JIRA Can Help
by Jenny Choban on October 6, 2016
What is Business Process Management?
Business process management (BPM) helps an organization become more efficient, flexible and effective by examining, refining and optimizing business processes. BPM is all-inclusive. Organizations frequently have detailed workflow processes in place for their major business activities, but smaller procedures may be worked out on the fly or left to the discretion of whichever employee is carrying them out at the time.
Your business processes are organizational assets. Developing and managing sound processes ensures consistency within your organization, makes your company more adaptable to change, conserves institutional knowledge and leads to higher profits.
It’s likely that your organization has invested in sophisticated accounting software to track accounts payable. But do you have a systemized way for dealing with petty cash? Your HR system tracks how much leave employees have accrued, but what is the process for deciding if someone can attend a conference? Every organization has small processes that are necessary for conducting business, but that often get overlooked when setting up the Big Systems. Examining all business processes, regardless of size, and implementing a BPM system increases efficiency and standardizes processes across departments.
Why BPM Matters
Technology makes it easy to automate and standardize business processes. But just because it can be done, doesn’t necessarily mean it should be done. BPM is not intended as an arbitrary reason for making processes more centralized and bureaucratic. Rather, a solid BPM system yields many advantages that ultimately result in higher profits. A 2015 study by TNS Global, collected data from 627 organizations in the United States, New Zealand and Australia, and found that organizations who focused on BPM were more likely to have delivered higher profit growth over the last three years.
Consider these advantages of implementing BPM in your organization:
- Processes by Design Not Default – Things tend get done the way they’ve always been done. There is often no rationale for a process. Implementing BPM means that every workflow process is carefully thought through to ensure maximum accuracy and efficiency.
- Cost – Ensuring efficient workflow processes saves time and money.
- Consistency – BPM ensures consistency in your business processes, thereby improving reliability inside your organization and increasing confidence in your brand in the marketplace.
- Tracking – BPM means that you can check in on a process at any time and know what has been done, by whom, and what remains to be done.
- Knowledge – BPM tools allow you to know how often a particular task is performed and how long it takes to complete the process, allowing you to understand the true cost and value your work. Processes are documented so that your organization’s institutional knowledge isn’t lost with staff turnover.
How We Can Help
ThinkTilt has produced the ProForma add-on for Atlassian’s JIRA Service Desk. ProForma is designed to simplify, standardize and automate business processes and forms. We believe every process, no matter how small, deserves a well-thought out system. Our templates are designed to ensure clear, consistent and efficient workflow. Whether you’re wanting to refine your procurement process or ensure consistency in approving employee leave requests, ThinkTilt has the solution. Our templates will allow you to create customized forms for designing, carrying out and tracking business processes.